Top 8 Pai Gow Poker Tips
Pai Gow Poker is far from your regular poker game as it combines the Chinese dominoes and the modern-day poker in a very structured and exciting manner! Let’s take you through some highly useful Pai Gow Poker tips that can significantly increase your winning chances:
1. Comprehensively understand the betting patterns and rules – This is an overall tip that’s applicable to any poker game, but more so in case of Pai Gow Poker. You must comprehensively understand how Pai Gow Poker works and master its basics pretty well.
2. Play the bank whenever possible – Understanding your position is extremely important in succeeding at Pai Gow Poker, and you must try to and make the most of the bank’s position whenever possible. However, exercise great caution while doing so. A banker needs to make the best of all the players seated at the table, and the banker’s odds are usually far more favourable compared to other players. Please keep in mind that you’ll need a fairly good bankroll for maintaining such position. It may also be wise to find a table that allows two players to share the banker’s position.
3. Closely observe the banker to player bets ratio – A player must always try to bet big whenever s/he plays a banker and feels that she/he has a fairly good chance of winning. On the other hand, he/she must avoid placing very large bets when he/she isn’t playing the banker, as there’d be lesser advantage. Whenever the banker to player bets ratio is large, the odds are more in favour of the banker.
4. Exercise caution while splitting the two pairs – Whenever you get 2 pairs in the 7 cards dealt to you, you’ll need to break them into 2 very carefully-thought-of hands, as it can help in cutting down the house edge significantly in your favour. You can do this in several different ways, and must try all of them in free play.
5. Keep your focus on both the hands – Its common knowledge that players are required to make a successful 5-card hand and a 2-card had in Pai Gow Poker. Majority of players focus extensively on the 5-card hand, while forgetting the 2-card one or vice versa. A seasoned Pai Gow Poker player would always maintain the right balance between both the hands and adopt a strong strategy while betting. You must try to learn and master all possible hand rankings prior to betting actual money on Pai Gow Poker.
6. A full house usually doesn’t have the upper hand – As in case of the regular poker game, in Pai Gow Poker, a full house doesn’t normally have an upper hand. It is advisable that you don’t try to work out a full house from the cards dealt to you as even though it may get you a nice 5-card hand, it may significantly compromise the forward hand.
7. Go with the house rule if you aren’t sure – Pai Gow Poker isn’t the simplest casino card game by any means. It requires a fair amount of mathematical planning while arranging your cards. Any time you’re unsure about making the best 5-card and 2-card hand from the 7 cards dealt to you, you must go the house way. Such arrangement may automatically help you in arranging your hand based on the exact system used by the dealer for arranging his/hers. As this system may vary from one casino to the other, you must look it up and learn about it beforehand.
8. Got 3 pairs?! – If you somehow get lucky and score 3 pairs in a particular Pai Gow Poker hand, use the best pair in your front hand. It’s a standard strategy adopted by all successful Pai Gow Poker players.